Periodontal / Gum Disease Treatment
Ask Mirada Market Dental Care if our services are right for youMake an Appointment
Common Signs of Gum Disease
- Red, tender, and swollen gums that bleed during brushing or flossing
- Constant bad breath or a bad taste in your mouth
- The gum line is receding, or gums are pulling away from teeth and forming pockets
- Changes in your bite or teeth alignment, loose teeth
Common Signs of Periodontal Disease
- Chronic bad breath
- Swollen, bleeding, and painful gums
- Severe gum recession
- Loose or missing teeth
- Persistent pain when chewing
- Drainage or pus from the gums
Stages of Gum Disease
Gingivitis is an early stage of periodontal disease. It can cause bleeding or swollen gums, bad breath, and bright red or purplish gums. If gingivitis goes untreated, symptoms can worsen and cause gum recession, tooth decay, tooth and bone loss, and other severe oral health issues.
Gingivitis can be treated with a deep cleaning to remove bacteria from gums and plaque and tartar from teeth. Your dentist may also recommend an antibacterial toothpaste or mouthwash. Flossing daily is also key to treating and preventing gingivitis.
If gingivitis goes untreated and begins to worsen, it becomes periodontitis.
Periodontitis affects not just the gums but also can affect soft tissue that supports your teeth, exposes tooth roots, damages bone, and in severe cases, it can enter your bloodstream and harm major internal organs.
Periodontal disease can be treated with many treatment options such as scaling, root planing, bone and tissue grafting, and antibiotics.
If periodontitis goes untreated, bone will begin to erode around tooth roots, gums severely recede, and there may be multiple missing or loose teeth. Complex cases of periodontitis typically require surgery such as pocket reduction surgery, soft tissue grafting, bone grafting, and guided tissue regeneration.
How Can I Prevent Gum Disease Before It Starts?
Simple, everyday steps can be taken to avoid gum disease growth, including:
- Brushing and flossing consistently at least twice a day
- Using an antimicrobial mouth rinse daily to help control plaque
- Eating a healthy, low-sugar diet
- Scheduling regular checkups
If you are experiencing the symptoms of gum disease, please contact Mirada Market Dental Care at 352-668-9065 to schedule an appointment right away. We've helped many residents in the San Antonio area successfully treat their periodontal and gum disease and restore their brilliant, beautiful smile.